10.07.2010

CC Challenge: Leggings

CC Reader Challenge #1:

" I see that many of your wardrobe suggestions include leggings, which I love. But I always worry about my butt showing. Where should the top hit your lower half? Love to know your expert opinion. "

Dear Reader,

I recall a day approximately 3 years ago when on a lunch date, I wore leggings as a pant for the first time.  I was for sure self-conscious and must admit, it took a few wears before I was used to a thin layer of black knit separating my rear end from the rest of the world.

Here are my tips for achieving the perfect "legging as a pant" look:

Tip #1: My first suggestion is to make sure you pick a legging in a thicker fabric.  As I have said time and time again, I love me some Express knits because they are thicker and therefore not so clingy and revealing.
I especially like this pair with the "moto" detailing in the inner thigh...a slimming effect that draws your eyes to the knees versus the areas you may be self-conscious about.

Sexy Stretch Moto Legging
$39.90 at Express Stores and express.com To Buy


Tip #2 Stick with tops that cover the areas you are self conscious about.  If that is your butt, then pick a longer top that covers it...see Sequin Cardigan For Every Age.  The win here is most retailers are now cutting their tops longer for us ladies to wear with our more fitted pants.  My ideal top length is shown below:


Ponte Mock Pocket Jegging
$8.80 at forever21.com

Tip #3:  Believe it or not, shapewear technology is now used in leggings.  For example, Sassybax makes a Bottom Lifting Control Top legging. I would be lying if I said I wasn't intrigued.  I think it sounds a little bit like heaven. 


Sassybax Bottom Lifting Control Top Leggings
$68 at barenecesseties.com To Buy

Check out barenecessities.com for more shapewear legging options.

So there you have have it! 

Follow 3 simple tips and you too can be a legging-wearing Couture Cheapskate fashion plate!

No comments: