11.19.2010

Couture vs. Cheapskate: Gold Glitter Flat

Can you tell which pair of gold glitter flats cost
$17 vs. $60?

Pair A

VS.

Pair B

Click here to see results!


If you guessed Pair A is the Cheapskate version, congratulations!  You are the Queen of All Things Gold and Glitter!

Embellished flats are one of my go-to staples for the holiday season because they combine two of my holiday survival necessities: comfort and joy.  Gone are the days of me buying fancy schmancy heels to prance around in during the holidays.  Instead I am opting for equally festive footwear but something that is more conducive to hosting a get-together, running through the mall or getting together with friends after work.  It is the best gift you can give your feet this year.

Fortunately for me the footwear designers out there are really getting creative with their flats this year.  Last year Marc Jacobs did a pair of glitter flats that were to die for but over $300.  This season every retailer from Go Jane to J. Crew, Kate Spade to Steve Madden are offering a glitter flat at a different price point.


J. Crew Glitterati Flat
$125 at jcrew.com To Buy

I love glitter flats because not only do they remind me of a sophisticated holiday craft project but of course like all things CC, their versatility.  They are equally stunning with a pair of black leggings and slim pants as a pair of jeans.  Throw on a sweater and either a colorful scarf or statement earrings.  Done.  Also lovely with tights and your holiday LBDs.

kate spade new york "Nell" Glitter Flat
$275 at nordstrom.com To Buy

I think this pair is adorable if money was no object.  A little more cutesy than I normally go but gosh darn it, I love that bow.  It reminds me of the very lady-like hostess I dream to be and also, a beautifully wrapped present.

If you are more on a budget, try Pair A from gojane.com, also available in silver.  Or if you want to perhaps spend a few more dollars and get something more durable, try Pair B from Steve Madden...also available in black and a beautiful multi-color (that I am obsessed with) like the Kate Spade above -- no festive bow though. 

One more middle of the road option from the Gap.  Also available in gold, silver and fuchsia:

Color Glitter Ballet Flats
$49.50 at Gap stores and gap.com To Buy

If money were no object, I would definitely splurge for the kate spade's because I think they are so cute and timeless in a nostalgic kind of way, like your favorite old school glittered ornaments that hang on your tree.  If you want to keep your CC card this holiday season, I love the multi-colored pair from Steve Madden and the two options from J. Crew and Gap.  Sorry Go Jane pair.

No comments: