8.08.2011

Beauty Buys At The Wal: Skin Care

Yes it is fabulous to indulge in department store beauty products, but one of the things I have learned over the years is there are equally fabulous products at The Wal.

You can decide which one:  Walmart or Walgreens.

In fact, I actually prefer shopping at The Wals.  Generally products cost less than $10 and when they work, what a pleasant surprise.  And when they don't?  No guilt over having spent an arm and a leg.

All this week, products from the drugstore (instead of the department store) will be featured...because saving money on cosmo's means more money for clothes!

Beauty Buys @ The Wal


First up, the most important products of any beauty regimen:  skin care.

You may think that more expensive skin care equals better results.  Well I am here to tell, you in some cases, that is true.  But when discussing moderately priced lotions anything less than $100 is going to yield similar results within its treatment category.  So why spend more unless you want to bump up to the $200+ category?

Garnier Nutritioniste Skin Renew Daily Moisture Lotion
$12.99 at Walgreens To Buy

I discovered this product last summer.  I had been using a more expensive lotion that was not oil-free and therefore felt too heavy for the heat.  This lotion promises to help reverse the signs of sun damage and reduce fine lines.  And I have to say I felt it worked.  A sun spot above my eye is way lighter and the lines in my forehead much reduced.  Read the full description for more information.  Plus the SPF 28 is mandatory for summer skin care.  I have to be honest, I don't know if I will ever go back to my pricey lotion full-time because I am so satisfied with this lotion's results.

Garnier Nutritioniste Skin Renew Daily Regenerating Serum
$11 at Walmart To Buy

I just started using this serum after I received it as a sample this summer.  I like a serum for summer because it is more lightweight than lotion.  The only downside is it does not have a SPF.  This particular serum is formulated to regenerate skin cell renewal leaving your skin brighter, even and toned.  Again, I find this product to work well.  My skin looks less dull and more hydrated.  Plus I love the lightness of this serum especially in the humidity.

You can use these two products together or separate.  Some people wear a serum underneath their lotion while others alternate their serum and lotion every other day.  It depends on your skin type.  My preference is alternating.  Truth be told, I sometimes alternate in my third more expensive product just cause.


The only product I have yet to find in a Wal that I would be willing to put the CC recommendation behind is eye cream.  So far my favorite is beyond expensive and only in my medicine cabinet because I received it for free.  So if you are willing to splurge...you know where to find me.

All in, for less than $25, you get almost an entire skin care routine. The serum and lotion combo I would buy at a department store would cost me $150, so now I have $125 more in my pocket to put towards shoes.  The best part is I notice the difference.  In a good way.  My skin condition has improved spending less money.


CC Tip:  To really get the most out of your Garnier lotion and serum, cut the top off using this tool to scoop out the lotion the pump cannot reach.  That's what I did!

No comments: