3.08.2012

A Grey Outfit w/ Hot Pink Shoes

Typically this is how my fashion inspiration comes together: watching Gossip Girl.

The obvious source of inspiration would be Serena van der Woodsen when in fact it is her mother, Lily van der Woodsen who often captures my attention.  Lily's commitment to chic, modern neutrals inspires me.  (I also find her hair color thought provoking.)  Case in point a few weeks ago when she wore this grey on grey ensemble:



You can see Lily's look is more refined but I do believe she is wearing grey denim. Her footwear was also black stiletto heels (duh...she was at the hospital) which got me thinking of another grey ensemble I constantly reference:


What if we interpreted Lily's and Emma's outfits for more everyday wear?  One more casual, run-around-town option and another wear-to-work, dressier option? All based on the idea of a grey outfit with hot pink footwear.  Would the fashion world allow this mash-up?

Turns out the fashion world would and on a more realistic, less celebrity-driven budget:

Celebrity Inspiration: Emma Stone


Items included in set:  Old Navy Cable-Knit Sweater $14, Forever21 Denim Skinny Jeans $28, INC International Concepts Snakeskin Pumps $89, Butter Women's Snail Bow Flat $120, Michael Kors Whisper Medium Hoops $45, Elie Tahari T Tahari Stacked Sparkle Ring $38, Vince Camuto Rhinestone Pyramid Ring $48, Armani Exchange AX 'Retro' Sunglasses $65, Lucky Brand "Emmie2" Ballet Flats $59, Laundry By Design Jersey Peplum Dress $69.25

First, my grey denim are a staple in my wardrobe this time of year.  Perfect transition bottom...and for $28? Even better price tag.  The $14 sweater is officially on my wish list too.

Women's Cable Knit Sweater
$13.99 at Old Navy  To Buy

Now to that dress...are you kidding me?  The season's hottest accessory, the peplum, falling from the waist...amazing.  An exposed zipper down the back and knit jersey!!!  Clearly this dress is calling to me.  It is almost half off so I will try and resist but I am not making any promises on how long I will last.


I realize these particular styles may not be for everyone but this color combo can serve as an inspiration as you work with your wardrobe.  If you prefer a more structured and classic grey dress, I recommend this highly affordable option from The Limited.  No peplum but still a comfortable knit that allows for year 'round wear.

Ponte Stretch Dress
$39.99 at The Limited  To Buy

So whether you are inspired by Lily or Emma, a grey outfit with a hot pink shoe can be just the look you need this time of year; a little neutral, a little bright.

No comments: